The Concours d’Elegance Trophy is the most prestigious award presented at the Bay to Birdwood and is held each year in association with both the Run and the Classic. It follows the original Concours d’Elegance format in that the overall appearance of the vehicle and passengers is judged.
Established at the very beginning of the event in 1980, the Trophy has been won by some of the finest historic vehicles in Australia. The inaugural winner in 1980 were Stephen, Christina, Gabriella and Elizabeth Boros with their 1930 Model A Ford.
Enter Your Vehicle – ENTRIES FOR THE 2020 CONCOURS d’ELEGANCE ARE NOW CLOSED
SOMETHING NEW: in 2020 all vehicles entered in the Concours d’Elegance will be judged at a separate pre-judging event in the morning of Saturday 26 September at the Torrens Parade Ground in Adelaide. Please make sure you are able to attend the pre-judging event if you intend to enter the Concours d’Elegance. Entry numbers are limited so register early to avoid disappointment.
To be a part of this category, please indicate your interest clearly on the entry form and attach at least three photographs of the vehicle as it will be presented on the day for the Organiser’s consideration. Click here to watch a video with tips on photographing your vehicle. If you have questions regarding your vehicle’s eligibility and/or the types of photos required by the Scrutineers please click here.
The primary scoring system is broken into three parts:
- the vehicle
- the occupants’ attire
- the overall effect of the vehicle/occupant(s).
The entries gaining the highest combined scores are announced as finalists.
The finalists will be judged by the technical experts. The vehicles are assessed on a number of areas including paint, engine bay, interior, and overall effect. The dress of the entrants is judged according to how closely their appearance is associated with the era of their vehicle. All finalists receive a certificate and the overall winner receives the prized Concours Trophy.
- All vehicles must comply with the conditions of entry.
- At least three photos which clearly display your vehicle as it will be shown on the day must be submitted with your entry form.
- Drivers/riders must stay with their vehicle until judging is completed (approximately 11:30am).
- Vehicles must still complete the Bay to Birdwood on Sunday 27 September to qualify as winners or finalists of the Concours d’Elegance.
- There will be a stage presentation to the winner during the Bay to Birdwood Finish event.
- Vehicles arriving at the site after 9:30 am may not be able to be judged and may be declared ineligible.
- As entrants of the award your vehicle must be presented in a suitable condition for the competition (suitable means a well presented and detailed vehicle, it does not mean faded paint, ripped, torn or badly worn interior or vehicles in an overall poor condition.)
- Minor modifications aimed at ensuring roadworthiness and safety of the vehicle (eg. electric starters, seat belts) are permitted.
- If you decide to withdraw from the award for any reason, please advise the Organisers as soon as possible to avoid any confusion on the day. Refunds of award category fees are not available.
- The winner receives a complimentary studio photo shoot of their vehicle.
Judging will be undertaken by an expert panel.
There will be only one overall winner, however, all finalists will be presented with a finalist certificate.
- Any vehicle that wins an award will NOT be eligible to win or enter the award section for the next ten consecutive Bay to Birdwood events.
- Previous winning vehicles are encouraged to enter the event and will be displayed with other previous award-winning vehicles. Please contact the Organisers if you are entering a Bay to Birdwood award-winning vehicle.
Bay to Birdwood Run 2019 Winner
Congratulations to Alvin Chua in his 1957 BMW Isetta.
Bay to Birdwood Run 2018 Winner
The coveted trophy was won by Stan Livissianos and his 1959 Chrysler Imperial Crown Convertible. Congratulations Stan!
Bay to Birdwood Classic 2017 Winner
Congratulations to first-time entrant, Paul Mason and his 1968 Holden HK Monaro
Bay to Birdwood Run 2016 Winner
Congratulations to the lovely family of Ryan, Kirsty and Flynn Turner who won with their 1926 Pontiac which has been in the family for 40 years.
Bay to Birdwood Classic 2015 Winner
Congratulations to the delightful family of Mark, Julia, Chloe and Amber Kraulis who won with their 1956 Chevrolet Belair.
Past Winners of the Concours d'Elegance
Bay to Birdwood Run
- 2018 Stan Livissianos – 1959 Chrysler Imperial Crown Convertible
- 2016 Ryan and Kirsty Turner – 1926 Pontiac
- 2014 John and Robyn Whittaker – 1953 Mercedes 300s
- 2012 Jason Edwards – 1955 MG TF 1500
- 2010 Neil & Gaynor Francis – 1914 Napier T68 Tourer
- 2008 David Lean – 1941 BMW R12 Motorcycle Outfit
- 2006 John & Robyn Whittaker – 1952 Mercedes 220
- 2004 Peter Whelan – 1929 Packard Limousine
- 2002 Claude & Elizabeth Minge – 1924 Nash Hearse
- 2000 Don & Marg Evans – 1948 Jaguar Mk V
- 1998 Donald & Elsa Cuppleditch – 1913 Empire Runabout
- 1996 Allan & Judy Steele – 1924 Rugby Tourer
- 1994 Roly & Helen Forss – 1928 Talbot
- 1992 Chris & Jenny Sorenson – 1904 Di Dion
- 1990 Jim M Ellis – 1928 Packard Tourer
- 1988 Mal Verco – 1912 Ford T Runabout & JM Ellis – 1928 Packard Limousine
- 1986 Colin Davis – 1909 Renault
- 1984 Donald & Elsa Cuppleditch – 1913 Empire Runabout
- 1982 Terry Parker – 1908 Matchless Motorcycle
- 1980 Stephen, Christina, Gabriella & Elizabeth Boros – 1930 Model A Ford
Bay to Birdwood Classic
- 2017 Paul Mason – 1968 Holden HK Monaro
- 2015 Mark & Julia, Chloe & Amber Kraulis – 1956 Chevrolet Belair
- 2013 Anthony & Luisa Perre – 1967 Chevrolet Chevelle Coupe
- 2011 Peter & Lynda Ninnis – 1958 Ford Skyliner Convertible
- 2009 Leon Parbs – 1969 Ford Capri 1600 GT
- 2007 Greg Meyers – 1971 MV Augusta 125 GTLS Motorcycle
- 2005 Lyell & Julie Blackman – 1956 M.G. A Roadster
- 2003 Mick Mitolo – 1955 M.G. TF Roadster
- 2001 Graham Juttner – 1962 Jaguar Mk II Sedan
- 1999 David Major – 1954 Aston Martin DB2/4 Coupe
- 1997 Cestra Holdings L P Khabbaz – 1965 Ford XP Coupe